Welcome to the Frontpage



RAGE: Rainham Against Gravel Extraction & Landfill:



The objection continues into March 2014....Our voice must not die, lest our cause does


Rainham/Wennington and surrounding areas have been, AND CONTINUE to mount and lead the local campaign to object to the

gravel pit and landfill plans that will be a disaster for our homes, neighbourhoods and businesses alike.  


Will you help keep our voice alive and loud: say to the council, enough is enough!  

Rainham has been dumped on enough!  

We are fed up of being the poor relation in the borough! 


The campaing has seen front page news once more in the East London Enquirer, thanks to Alice Clinton when we handed in our 2,000 strong supporting petition.  We have been in the Romford Recorder and been broadcast on Time FM since launching the campaign at the end of 2013.


To contact us to find out more about the ongoing campaign, to support us or offer assistance, either go to the contact us tab on this website to e mail us directly, click here to access our Facebook group, click here to connect with us via twitter and click here to leave comments on our MP Jon Cruddas's website.    


Our petition is now closed, the hand in date was the 27th Jan.  Click on Change.org view the support we gained. 



- - - - 

The small parish of Wennington stands in the southeastern corner of the London Borough of Havering. It is still separated from itís neighbours Rainham and Aveley by belts of farmland and marsh pasture; because of this and the Green Belt restrictions, the parish retains itís ancient rural character.

The village itself is spread out along the Wennington Road, which before 1930 was the main road between Dagenham, Aveley, the Thurrocks, Purfleet and Grays.

There was a garrison at Purfleet and two forts, at Tilbury and East Tilbury, built during the Napoleonic wars. Sailors from Purfleet brought their washing to the laundry that existed opposite Laundry Cottages.



The Millennium Map


The Wennington Village Millennium Map was commissioned to celebrate the thousand year history of Wennington Village.

Over the course of the intervening years the name Wennington has evolved from Winitune 1042, Wenninton 1190, Veneton, 1274, Wenyngton 1324, Wynnyngton 1553 and others.

The first known mention of this ancient place occurs in 969A.D. as Winnintuna.

The original saxon settlement was built on a causeway that crossed the marshes alongside the River Thames 

In 1086 the Domesday Book confirms Wennington as belonging to Westminster Abbey